• Think of a Master File as the "final image", from which all further uses of this image derive - here's where almost ALL of the artistic and creative "blood, sweat & tears"will be poured into an image.
• A Master File has been enhanced and prepped so that you can safely crop, sharpen, convert to 8-bit, reduce or enlarge in size, save as a JPG for the web, and so on, depending on your needs - with consistency all throughout the process.
• From a technical standpoint, a Master File is a multi-purpose, multi-layered, un-cropped and un-sharpened 16-bit TIFF or PSD File of a photographic image. There's more detailed information at my blogpost here: https://blog.main.wattsdigital.com/?p=1853
In a nutshell, experience - I generally know what works, and what doesn't ...
• I've been privileged over the last 35+ years to work in partnership with some of the world’s finest photographers, both professionals and avid amateurs. I also have a knack for making superior color prints for these photographers.
• I've now taken that experience & expertise, and applied it to the world of Digital Imaging education. I've also been a regular photo judge at many popular photo contests throughout Southern California over the decades.
• Ever wanted to see what an experienced custom photographic printer could do for your images? Now's your chance ...
• The price is usually $50 each for most files, but can be lower or higher, depending on the amount of work necessary (i.e. Panoramic from multiple files, HDR from multiple files, excessive cloning, etc.)
• Turnaround depends on the amount of work necessary, but is typically 2 to 3 business days
• Please note that the best results will always come from an original RAW file!
I'll save your Master File as an unflattened 16 bit PSD - - You'll be able to open it in Photoshop, and see, layer by layer, what has been done to your image to optimize it. I'll work on your image from your written and/or verbal instructions, and make suggestions as the process unfolds.
This is definitely an "artist/craftsman" relationship, and communication is key. First, you upload the image to me, we'll discuss your image and what you'd like to do with it, I'll make recommendations, then I get to work. When I have something that I believe works, I'll email you an initial low-res test JPG - then we can discuss, until your Master File is completed.
• You will receive the following on a thumb drive or delivered electronically: your original file, your Master File, and one "to size" file".
• Please note that a Master File should NEVER be sharpened. The amount of sharpening that is necessary for a 16x20 is much more than it would be for an 8x10 - - If you sharpen a Master File for a 16x20, an 8x10 would be over-sharpened. It is best to sharpen each time for the intended output size.
• With that in mind, I'll include one file "to-size" (your choice of size) that is flattened, sharpened, cropped, converted to 8-bit, and so on - ready to print anywhere. Additional "to-size" files are $5 each.
"Not Just Another Photoshop Book" - Photoshop Instruction designed
for photographers by a photo printing professional ...
Check out my Blog for dozens of relevant & educational posts, going back years ...
All of the latest Photoshop & Digital Imaging news that's fit to print - Privacy is important to me; therefore, I will not sell, rent, or give your name or address to anyone.